No matter the challenge, having the information and support that you need enables YOU to make the best choices about the direction of your counseling experience and about your life. At Sea Change Holistic Wellness Center, we strive to provide just that, the education and care that is needed to empower you to transform obstacles to optimum health and happiness. Providing individual, couples and family counseling for all ages and abilities, Sea Change therapists are here to engage your personal strengths and utilize a truly holistic approach in bringing the body, mind, and spirit into balance.
Welcome! We are thrilled that you are considering seeking sex therapy at Sea Change Holistic Wellness Center. This page has some of the most common questions we are asked about sex therapy. This will help you get a sense of what sex therapy is and what it isn’t, including the types of issues we often work with, and what you can expect as a client.
Why do people see a sex therapist?
There are many reasons why a person or couple may consider sex therapy. Some common topics discussed in therapy include:
• If you’ve ever wondered “Isn’t there more to sex than this?”
• What holds you back from fully enjoying the uninhibited, fulfilling sex life that you deserve?
• Body image and how it affects your relationship and sex life?
• Sexual desire or arousal
• Sexless marriage
• Trouble reaching orgasm
• Painful intercourse and pelvic pain
• Erectile disorder
• Rapid (Premature) ejaculation
• Enhancing intimacy, pleasure and orgasm
• Gender transitions
• Sexual orientation
• Menopause and aging
• A teenager who is curious about sex and wanting straight answers.
• A parent who is concerned about how their child or teenager is expressing themselves sexually.
• Couples that are wanting to increase sexual intimacy, or to increase their communication about sex?
• Concerns that your partner is watching internet porn and what this may mean for your relationship?
• Hypersexuality or what some considered an addition to sex?
• Disconnected libidos
• Dealing with infidelity
What is a sex therapist?
• A certified sex therapist is someone who holds a degree in a mental health field, is licensed to practice as a therapist, has many years of counseling experience and has gone on to receive more in-depth training in a postgraduate program specifically in the area of sex therapy, and an in-depth certification process through the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists. It’s this additional training that truly distinguishes a Certified Sex Therapist from other types of therapists.
What does a sex therapist do?
• A sex therapist listens to your concerns in a non-judgmental, fully accepting, and safe environment and will approach your situation with sensitivity, compassion, and professionalism.
• Sex therapy is solution-focused and so depending upon your goals and your level of commitment in and outside of the office, from talking openly in therapy to engaging in homework (and sometimes home fun) assignments, the process could take anywhere from as little as a few sessions to a dozen.
Do I come to sex therapy alone or with a partner?
• You may choose to see a sex therapist independently, or with your partner, spouse or friend.
What results do clients who participate in sex therapy often achieve?
Sex is meant to be a rewarding and pleasurable part of life and sex therapy can achieve just that. Your results are driven by your own motivation and dedication to change. At the onset of therapy, we discuss what your specific goals are coupled with fun and feasible ways to achieve those goals. Sex therapy makes talking about sex and sexuality more comfortable and helps you put into words what you have been feeling and thinking. This safe and open environment allows you to also begin to shift your perspective and enables you to see things in a new light. My only goal is to empower you in a way that leads to personal growth, and with sex therapy that oftentimes leads to more confidence, increased self-esteem, a stronger body image, and enhanced sexual pleasure.
What is the philosophy and style of Heather Simonson, LCSW, CSE, CST, RYT?
“From my many years of working in the field of sexual and reproductive health, I have witnessed countless individuals who live in fear that they are not sexually “normal.” When people have sexual problems, they often experience shame, guilt, and anger. Many clients feel unnourished and unsatisfied. Sex therapy always looks at both the physical aspects of a person’s sexual health as well as the accompanying emotions. Everyone needs to find a therapist that is the right fit for them. Usually, after the first session, you’ll get a good sense. I encourage you to work with a sex therapist if you’re looking to address anything sexual in nature. You deserve to feel understood, accepted and like you’re growing as a person. ”
FOR STRUGGLING INDIVIDUALS
Sex therapy for one is the ultimate act of self-care. Many individuals have sexual health concerns but feel as though because they’re not coupled or sexually active with another person that it is not a priority. For some these challenges may be what keeps them from pursuing relationships or sex. Engaging in solo sex therapy can help you overcome your fears and anxieties and help heal whatever physical problems you need to overcome. Loving ourselves needs to come before love with any other.
FOR STRUGGLING COUPLES
Many people have a difficult time discussing concerns about their sexual health. This can lead to emotional and physical intimacy struggles. Often time’s couples become emotionally distant, refusing to talk about the situation and allowing resentments and bitterness to fester. The bedroom can become a place of worry and discomfort rather than one of peace and passion. Sex therapy helps increase communication and comfort about these feelings and together we discover new ways to help couples find a meeting of the minds and bodies and to allow individuals to open up to new possibilities.
FOR THOSE LOOKING TO TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL
For those who are already experiencing a healthy, fulfilling sex life and just want more, learning tantric practices can enhance what you already have! Working individually or as a couple to learn deep relaxation, breathing and pelvic floor exercises can be just what you need to add that extra spice and deepen your sexual connection. Our sessions will provide you with a good foundation offering a taste of tantra that will leave your tastebuds wanting more and ready to explore.
Many people choose to come to a therapist just to have another unbiased person to talk to about general life issues, stress management, relationships, life goals or whatever happened in their day. Asking for support is a sign of strength and self-care, not a sign of weakness. Counseling gives us the opportunity for growth, to identify the inner strength to make the changes and choices needed to live the life we dream of.
Most people have felt depressed at some point in their lives, but living with depression can be a very difficult place to live. Especially since many view depression as someone not being able to get out of bed, crying all the time, etc., but it doesn’t always look like that. Often times it manifests as irritability, anger, or addiction. Those living with depression often find themselves in the same cycle as those who struggle with anxiety, in that you know there are things that can help you, but the depression or anxiety have such a hold that it keeps you from doing something differently. Sea Change is a place to help support those working to break those cycles and BE the CHANGE they want to SEA!
Anxiety affects nearly 1/5th of adults in the United States. Our compassionate and supportive licensed therapists offer a wide range of healing modalities and specialize in working with people who struggle with anxiety. Often times we feel like we are stuck, or helpless when we are feeling anxious, which may block us from utilizing the tools we know that can help. Luckily, we have a range available to us, many of them which are accessible to all, anywhere, anytime. Everything from exercises to help alleviate the physical sensations of anxiety, breathing, visualization, affirmations, acupuncture, massage, reiki, nutrition as well as medication. Sea Change’s therapists and teachers offers a one-stop-shop for all of these essentials.